Monday, July 27, 2009

... I get told I lack ambition

Quick question: what exactly is ambition? Is it that thing you feel and do in order to achieve a goal? That's what I think it is.

"Ah, that John Smith, he's an ambitious fellow, he's going to go far."

That sounds about right to me.

Well, this past weekend I was told I have no ambition because I sit on my ass and claim unemployment. Because I've only applied for about 25 jobs since February. Does that mean I lack ambition? Does it mean I have given up on my hopes and dreams and goal of teaching? Personally, I feel as though the 'pause' button has been pushed and am I so tired of working and striving and working and running and moving. So right now, that 'pause' button is my friend. It helps me stop, relax and reflect. Reflect on what I've done and what I need to do to move forward.

If we don't stop to smell the flowers every now and then, if we are constantly striving to fulfill that ambition every waking moment of our lives since we could only just stand up without plopping back down on our toddler asses, then what's the point? Life is already so busy and so fast. I happen to like the break I now have. And when I feel it's time to stop lying out on the grass while soaking up the sun's rays, then, and only then, will I get up, dust off my jeans, and peer off down Goal Avenue.

Until then, back off and let me reflect.

Surf's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment