Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Um, sorry, what?



Advertising here in the U.S. is very different to what they do down in South Africa. In deepest, darkest Africa, they still create beautifully originally print ads, and masterfully-directed TV commercials, and radio commercials that make you giggle like a 9-year old girl. But here in the U.S., it's all gone digital. You can't have a media plan if it doesn't include some (or mostly) digital stuff.

And today I will be interviewing for a Web Copywriter position.

So my interview is for someone who can do fun digital stuff. They need to be able to have knowledge of IA, UX and the role of information architect. Know I'm by no means a pro, BUT I do know that UX is some fancy way of talking about "use experience" - it's got something to do with the design of a website and how easy (or difficult) it is for a guy like me to use. As for IA and the whole information architect thing, I'm clueless.

The other requirements are a passion for social media (does spending hours a day on Facebook count??), search engine marketing, and PR 2.0. Crikey. Are they actually looking for someone who can write copy? Or maybe Bill Gates himself?

Time to hop online and look up other equally confusing terms so I sound like I know what I'm talking about at my interview.

On the upside, they offer 100% health insurance, 100% dental, a nice pension plan, and if I get the job I'd get to work "in a cool office space" which overlooks a river.

That whole IA (I think that stands for information architect) and UX thing still confuses me. My good friend Wiki explains it as: "Information architecture (IA) is the art of expressing a model or concept of information used in activities that require explicit details of complex systems. Among these activities are library systems, Content Management Systems, web development, user interactions, database development, programming, technical writing, enterprise architecture, and critical system software design. Information architecture has somewhat different meanings in these different branches of IS or IT architecture. Most definitions have common qualities: a structural design of shared environments, methods of organizing and labeling websites, intranets, and online communities, and ways of bringing the principles of design and architecture to the digital landscape." Um, ok then.


Hell, I was a journalism major in college. What is all this stuff about? Will I get to write a nifty headline for a print ad?? THAT I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment