Thursday, February 18, 2010

I'm thinking about going to Architecture school. No, seriously, I am!


Way back when I was but a wee lad in high school, I decided I wanted to be an architect. I went to my art teacher and asked her, "Miss Hassan, if I want to be an architect, should I take Technical Drawing or Art?" Silly question to ask an Art teacher because we all know what her answer was. But she also added that technical drawing would be taught in Architecture school. Whereas art history included lots and lots of fun and interesting architectural studies. She was right.

But I never ended up going to Architecture school because I later learned that one has to be a mathematical and science-type genuis. I got the Art pat down, but the Maths and Physics part, not so much.

Recently I have learned that I can in fact go to Architecture school. Sure, I will need to take a calculus and a physics course, but most of the program would focus on design and the whole GREEN thing that seems to be sweeping the planet.

I like this idea. I can scrape by with a pass in both calculus and physics. Especially if it means I might be able to go to Architecture school. Just think, it's a 3.5 year graduate course, I'm 35 now, so if I started next year I'd be almost 40 when I graduated.

Sure, that's kinda old but hell, Frank Lloyd Wright only started getting his best commissions when he was in his 60s (I think - my friend Wikipedia couldn't help me on this but I'm sure I remember the age from a tour I took of Fallingwater).

No comments:

Post a Comment