Friday, September 18, 2009

... I discovered that my work environment looked like this.

It looks like my grandmother's living room, without the doilies and those porcelain dolls with swirling skirts.

I received a call on my celery phone on Tuesday from the temp agency I signed up with. The short chat went something like this:

"Hey, so those interviews you went on, they liked you and want to know if you'd be interested in temping with them."

"Sure."

"Great, can you start tomorrow?"


Now this temp job is a simple one. I answer the phone (and people here always seem to get a kick out of my accent), I do the filing, I fill out the mail log when the mail comes in, and I log out the mail when it's sent out. I take messages for people when the people they want to speak to don't want to speak to them.

I realized that over the years I have learned computer skills, I have done my own filing, I have customer service experience, so I figured, "Why the heck not?!" The money isn't really amazing but it pays the bills. And it's a temp position - they feel I might die of boredom there.

Mmmmm, not so much from the boredom mate. That picture on the wall might kill me, but not the boredom. I keep myself busy.

But it's sooooooooo quiet in this office. You can hear a pin drop. When the front desk phone rings, you can hear it ring through the office. I work with six women. And an old man. And no one says a word. Very, very different to working in an advertising saltmine, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment