Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'm back in school

If i had a trust fund, and a shiny key ring with a three-pronged star insignia, if I vacationed in the Hamptons at the family beach house every year, and if I popped my collar, if my first name sounded like a surname, and if it was predetermined that I would go on to the Ivy League, then maybe, just maybe, I would have gone to a college prep school like this:












But I wasn't. And I didn't. 


But I did okay for a skinny white boy from a middle class neighborhood on a coastal city that gets so humid it could make a camel's foot sweat, all the way down in Africa. I went to a good all-boys school where I had to wear a tie and blazer (in summer); where we were caned with a bamboo stick for not doing Physics homework; where we stood for a teacher when he or she walked into the classroom - and then addressed them as, "Ma'am" or "Sir".


But I digress. I've landed a plum internship with an academy, no less, where I work in the alumni affairs and development office. Yup, I raise money for the 126-year old school.


And don't get me wrong, the school is beautiful, the grounds are breathtaking, the facilities world-class. And the internship is going well.



No comments:

Post a Comment