Thursday, October 8, 2009

...South Africa's crime comes to Pittsburgh




Ever been pistol-whipped? Well, now I can say I have. 


Twenty four years in the rape/car-jack/hijack/murder capital of the planet and now I get help up at gunpoint and pistol-whipped in Pittsburgh.


I had packed up the car with all sorts of things to take to my new apartment. My laundry basket, ironing board, curtain rods, toaster, new towels, etc. After several trips up the stairs and back down again, I was finally done. As I walked out the building door - cell phone in my hand to text my current room mate to let him know I was headed back because it was already 11pm - I noticed a guy standing on the sidewalk. 


And then I looked across the road and saw the driver's door open in the car. Now common sense would say, "Get your skinny ass back in the building!", but no, the sense was not so common that night. I walked up to the car - and the guy behind the wheel jumped out and marched toward me WITH A FAKKIN' GUN POINTED AT MY FACE!


A fakkin gun! Not a Swedish fish. Not a rolled newspaper. But a fakkin gun!


I opened my pie hole to shout (or scream like a girl) but nothing came out. Up came his hand and down came the handle of the gun on the side of my head. THUD. He saw my cell phone, reached for it and I instinctively threw it toward the ground where it slid under a nearby car.


As if by a miracle of God, my voice came back from its vacation:


"HEEEEEEELP ME, PLEASE, SOMEONE, PLEASE HELP ME!"


The would-be robber must have been frightened off because him and his accomplice hightailed it out of there faster than two bikers in a transexual stripper club. 


I managed to find my phone, climbed into the car with blood pouring down my face, locked the door, stopped shaking just long enough to be able to call my Dad in South Africa and break down crying.

I now need to go and give my underwear a private washing.

2 comments:

  1. that's terrible! did you get a couple of stitches?
    i was once mugged in joburg, was walking and talking on my cell phone. won't do that again.
    sheesh that's a really really scary story, you're very brave. hope other than a bit of a headache, you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks paige. i'm originally from durban and other than having my car stolen twice from my front yard down there, i was never held up. i lived in joburg for a year - luckily nothing happened. i hope YOU were ok! and no, i didnt get stitches, was in shock so i went to a friend's place.

    ReplyDelete